Dr. Elina Kilpi-Jakonen
Elina Kilpi-Jakonen, DPhil, is a postdoctoral researcher on the eduLIFE ("Education as a Lifelong Process – Comparing Educational Trajectories in Modern Societies") project. Before starting on the project, she was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Oxford Network for Social Inequality Research, based at the Department of Sociology, University of Oxford, and a non-stipendiary Junior Research Fellow at New College, Oxford. She also completed her DPhil and MSc in Sociology at Oxford as well as her BA in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.
Elina's research interests are social inequalities relating to immigrant origin, gender and social class, with a particular focus on education and labour market entry.
Department of Political and Social Sciences
European University Institute
Via dei Rocettini, 9
50014 San Domenico di Fiesole
Phone: +39 055 468 5217
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Kilpi-Jakonen, E. (Forthcoming) Citizenship and Educational Attainment amongst the Second Generation: An Analysis of Children of Immigrants in Finland. Accepted for publication in Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies.
- Kilpi-Jakonen, E. (2012) Does Finnish Educational Equality Extend to Children of Immigrants? Examining national origin, gender and the relative importance of parental resources. Nordic Journal of Migration Research, 2(2), 167-181. Available at: dx.doi.org/10.2478/v10202-011-0039-4.
- Kilpi-Jakonen, E., Vono de Vilhena, D., Kosyakova, Y., Stenberg, A., & Blossfeld, H.-P. (2012) The Impact of Formal Adult Education on the Likelihood of Being Employed: a Comparative Overview. Studies of Transition States and Societies, 4(1), 48-68. Available at: www.tlu.ee/stss/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/kilpi.pdf.
- Kilpi-Jakonen, E. (2011) Continuation to upper secondary education in Finland: Children of immigrants and the majority compared. Acta Sociologica, 54(1), 77-106. Available at: dx.doi.org/10.1177/0001699310392604.
- Heath, A. F., Rothon, C., & Kilpi, E. (2008) The second generation in Western Europe: Education, unemployment, and occupational attainment. Annual Review of Sociology, 34, 211-235. Available at: dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.soc.34.040507.134728.
- Teräs, M. & Kilpi-Jakonen, E. (Forthcoming) 'Maahanmuuttajien lapset koulutusjärjestelmässä' [Immigrants' children in the education system] in Martikainen, T., Saukkonen, P. & Säävälä, M. (eds.) Muuttajat: Kansainvälinen muuttoliike ja suomalainen yhteiskunta [Movers: International Migration and Finnish Society]. Helsinki: Gaudeamus.
- Heath, A. & Kilpi-Jakonen, E. (2012) Immigrant children’s age at arrival and assessment results. OECD Education Working Paper 75. Available at: dx.doi.org/10.1787/5k993zsz6g7h-en. Edited version as Chapter 4 in OECD (2012) Untapped Skills: Realising the Potential of Immigrant Students. Paris: OECD Publishing. Available at: dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264172470-en.
- Kilpi-Jakonen, E. (2011) Maahanmuuttajataustan ja Suomessa asumisajanvaikutus koulumenestykseen [The effects of immigrant origin and length of residence in Finland on educational attainment]. Hyvinvointikatsaus 2/2011, 56-60.
- Kilpi, E. (2010) 'Toinen sukupolvi peruskoulun päättyessä ja toisen asteen koulutuksessa' [The second generation at the end of comprehensive school and in upper secondary education] in Martikainen, T. & Haikkola, L. (eds) Maahanmuutto ja sukupolvet [Immigration and Generations]. Tietolipas 233. Helsinki: Suomalaisen Kirjallisuuden Seura and Nuorisotutkimusverkosto.
- Kilpi, E. (2010) The Education of Children of Immigrants in Finland. Unpublished DPhil thesis, Department of Sociology, University of Oxford. Available at: tinyurl.com/2v7jxup.
- Kilpi, E. (2008). 'Education in Finland and the ISCED-97' in Schneider, S. L. (ed.) The International Standard Classification of Education: An Evaluation of Content and Criterion Validity for 15 European Countries. pp. 268-280. Mannheim: MZES. Available at: www.mzes.uni-mannheim.de/publications/books/isced97.html.
- Kilpi, E. (2008). Prejudice as a response to changes in competitive threat: Finnish attitudes towards immigrants 1986-2006. Working paper number 2008-01, Department of Sociology, University of Oxford. Available at: www.sociology.ox.ac.uk/documents/working-papers/2008/2008-01.pdf.
Conferences & Presentations
- Social Inequalities in Educational and Early Labour Market Trajectories in Finland: A Focus on Early School Leavers, SUNSTRAT workshop, Swedish Institute for Social Research, Stockholm University, 11.-12.12.2012
- Children of Immigrants' Educational Attainment in Finland - Is Finnish Citizenship Linked to Higher Attainment? Departmental seminar, Research Unit Migration, Integration, Transnationalization, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB), 18.4.2012
- Education as a Lifelong Process: comparing social inequalities related to lifelong learning in modern societies, Departmental seminar, Department of Sociology, University of Oxford, 13.2.2012
- Maahanmuuttajataustaiset nuoret ja koulutuksessa eteneminen [Young people with an immigrant background and continuation in education], Departmental seminar, Centre for Applied Language Studies and Finnish Institute for Educational Research, University of Jyväskylä, 4.10.2011
- Children of Immigrants in Finland: Educational Achievement and Continuation at Age 16, ESRC Seminar Series “The Nordic and Baltic States in the European Political Imagination”, University College London, 4.5.2011
- Children of Immigrants in Finland: Educational Achievement and Continuation at Age 16, Departmental Seminar, Department of International Relations, Politics and Sociology, Oxford Brookes University, 4.4.2011
- Children of Immigrants' Educational Attainment in Finland - Is Finnish Citizenship Linked to Higher Attainment? Conference in honour of Anthony Heath, Department of Sociology, University of Oxford, 1.4.2011
- Continuation to Upper Secondary Education in Finland: Children of Immigrants and the Majority Compared, Departmental Seminar, Chair of Sociology I, Otto-Friedrich University Bamberg, 15.2.2011
- Maahanmuuttajien lapset peruskoulun päättyessä ja toisen asteen koulutuksessa [Children of immigrants at the end of comprehensive school and in upper secondary education], Lecture on children of immigrants, City of Helsinki, 25.11.2010
- Maahanmuuttajien lasten koulutus [Education of children of immigrants], Population Research Seminar, Finnish Demographic Society and Department of Sociology, University of Helsinki, 4.-5.11.2010
- Maahanmuuttajien lasten jatkaminen toisen asteen koulutuksessa Suomessa [The continuation of children of immigrants in upper secondary education in Finland], Roundtable discussion on Children of Immigrants in Finland at the Finnish Parliament, 20.10.2010
- Forthcoming: Children of Immigrants Entering the Finnish Labour Market: Equal Opportunities or Persistent Barriers? Giornate di Studio sulla Popolazione, Feburary 2013, Brixen, Italy
- Children of Immigrants' Educational Attainment in Finland – Is Finnish Citizenship Linked to Higher Attainment? Nordic Migration Research (NMR) and Society for the Study of Ethnic Relations and International Migration (ETMU) Conference, August 2012, University of Turku, Finland
- Impacts of adult education on social inequalities through the life-course in modern societies, joint work with Daniela Vono-de-Vilhena, Anders Stenberg and Hans-Peter Blossfeld, RC28 (International Sociological Association Research Committee on Social Stratification and Mobility) Spring Meeting, May 2012, Hong Kong; presented by Daniela Vono at PAA Annual Conference, May 2012, San Francisco
- Children of immigrants, citizenship and education in Finland, ECSR Conference, December 2011, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Children of Immigrants at the End of Comprehensive School in Finland: Examining the Effects of National Origin, Parental Resources and Gender, NORFACE Migration Conference, April 2011, University College London, UK
- The When, How and Why of the Reversal of the Gender Gap in Education, joint work with Tak Wing Chan, RC28 (International Sociological Association Research Committee on Social Stratification and Mobility) Spring Meeting, May 2010, University of Haifa, Israel
- Gender Inequalities in Higher Education, 'Burning Issue' presentation, ESRC International Spring School, organised by EducEight, April 2010, University of York, UK
- Children of Immigrants at the End of Compulsory School, Society for the Study of Ethnic Relations and International Migration (ETMU) Conference, October 2009, University of Joensuu, Finland
- Gender Differences in the Education of Children of Immigrants and the Majority in Finland, Meeting of the SOCCULT group of EQUALSOC, October 2009, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, France
- Academic or Vocational? Decisions about Continuing in Education of Majority and Minority Youth in Finland, European Sociological Association Conference, September 2009, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Primary and Secondary Effects of Family Background in the Educational Decisions of Minority and Majority Youth in Finland, European Sociological Association Conference, September 2009, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Academic or Vocational? Children of Immigrants' Educational Decisions in Finland, Aage Sorensen Memorial Conference, April 2009, University of Stockholm, Sweden
- Continuation of Children of Immigrants in Post-compulsory Education in Finland, Society for the Study of Ethnic Relations and International Migration (ETMU) and the Finnish Youth Research Society Conference, October 2008, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Continuation of Children of Immigrants in Post-compulsory Education in Finland, Transitions in Youth Workshop, September 2008, University of Bamberg, Germany
- Advanced Topics in Life Course Research I: Ethnicity and Migration. Postgraduate course, Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg, Winter Semester 2011/12, Summer Semester 2012
- Ethnicity, Migration and Nationalism. Postgraduate course, University of Oxford, Hilary Term 2010/11
- Education, Employment and Work. Undergraduate course, Oxford Brookes University, 2010/11
- Sociology of Industrial Societies. Undergraduate tutorials, University of Oxford, 2007-10
- Quantitative Methods in Politics and Sociology. Undergraduate tutorials, University of Oxford, 2007-10
- 'Race' and Ethnicity. Undergraduate course. University of Reading, 2006/07